Walking is a great way to improve or maintain your overall health. Just 30 minutes every day can help you live a healthier life.
Health benefits of walking
- Increased cardiovascular and pulmonary (heart and lung) fitness
- Reduced risk of heart disease and stroke
- Improved management of conditions such as hypertension (high blood pressure), high cholesterol, joint and muscular pain or stiffness, and diabetes
- Stronger bones and improved balance
- Increased muscle strength and endurance
- Reduced body fat.
- Improve your mental health
- You carry your own body weight when you walk. This is known as weight-bearing exercise
Aim to Walk for 30 minutes a day
To get the health benefits, try to walk for at least 30 minutes as briskly as you can on most days of the week. ‘Brisk’ means that you can still talk but not sing, and you may be puffing slightly. Moderate activities such as walking pose little health risk but, if you have a medical condition, check with your doctor before starting any new exercise program of physical activity.
Making walking fun
Some suggestions to help make regular walking a pleasurable form of physical activity include:
- Varying where you walk
- Walking the dog
- Walking with friends
- Joining a walking club