Rice paper rolls are quick and easy to make and perfect as a light snack or meal on the run. The filling ingredients are flexible. You can use more carrot instead of cucumber, or lettuce in place of cabbage. Here’s our favourite filling combination:
- 100 g tofu sliced or shredded chicken breast
- Vermicelli Noodles
- 1/2 cup red cabbage finely sliced
- 1/2 carrot grated
- 1 sprig spring onion finely sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 1/3 cucumber sliced lengthways
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 3 rice paper sheets
- salt & pepper to taste
Heat a non-stick fry pan on a medium heat and cook tempeh for 2-3 minutes on each side, until crispy.
- Soak the vermicelli noodles in just boiled water to soften, then rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain well, then chop them into short lengths to make it easy to add to your rolls.
- Submerge rice paper into a large bowl of warm water for 10 seconds, until completely soft. Transfer onto paper towel.
- Place 1/3 of the mixture into the centre of each rice paper sheet, lengthways across. Fold each shorter end inwards over mixture, then roll from the bottom over tightly to close.
- Combine sauce ingredients to a smooth paste.
- Serve rice paper rolls with peanut sauce or soy sauce!!!